1. Every child has the right to a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment.
2. All families and youth, from all walks of life, all backgrounds, and all abilities, should have equitable access to affordable, quality child care.
3. In order to grow our economy and put people back to work, all working families must have access to reliable and affordable child care, including availability during traditional and non-traditional work shifts.
4. In order to provide the very best care for our children, the people who care for and educate our children have to be fairly and appropriately compensated, and have opportunities for continued learning and skill enhancement.
5. New Yorkers who work deserve at least a living wage. But an increase in the minimum wage must be coupled with an analysis of the potential impact on equitable access to affordable quality child care. Action must be taken to ensure that the increase does not indirectly cause child care providers to reduce capacity or close; or require working families to pay much higher costs for child care.
6. Quality child care is early education that provides children with a foundation for lifetime learning and success. The progress and potential of our state depends on the commitment of New York’s government and business leaders to make it financially possible for families to work while raising children.
7. New York has the resources and ability to provide equitable access to affordable, quality child care. It is time to make it a priority.
8. New York’s increased investment in child care would create new job growth and opportunity, and improve job satisfaction and retention within the child care workforce.
9. When decisions are made that impact our children and their care providers, families representing all communities must be present at the table; and their comments and suggestions must be both respected and reflected in the decision making process.
10. We want what is best for our children—they are the future—and we expect those we elect to office to want the same, and to take action toward this common goal.